Komende zondag, 1 juli, gaat in Engeland het totale rookverbod in. Honderden pubs en miljoenen rokers zullen op die dag dit verbod openlijk aan hun laars lappen, door roken toe te staan, c.q. volop te blijven roken in de pubs. Deze dag wordt ‘Defiance Day’ genoemd, in goed Nederlands: De Dag van de Burgelijke Ongehoorzaamheid
Op Hawaii zijn rokers er in geslaagd om het totale rookverbod dat daar was afgekondigd, voor een groot gedeelte terug te laten draaien. De Hawaiaanse rokers roepen nu de wereld op om elk jaar op 1 juli World Defiance Day te vieren. In een persbericht roepen ze rokers en bareigenaren wereldwijd op om op 1 juli feest te vieren en elk rookverbod aan de laars te lappen.
Ook wij roepen rokers en bareigenaren op om op 1 juli een of andere vorm van protest tegen rookverboden te laten horen en solidariteit met de Engelse bareigenaren en rokers te betuigen.
Attention! Freedom of Choice Defenders Everywhere!
WORLD DEFIANCE DAY!
July 1, 2007
On Sunday, July 1st, hundreds of British pubs will stand strong in Defiance of their nation-wide smoking ban. We in Hawaii as well as smokers, their friends, and smokers rights groups throughout the US and overseas will stand in solidarity with our British brethren to stop this wave of Governmental Intrusion into business and personal choice.
The British Day Of Defiance! will be supported by smokers and businesses everywhere where unreasonable and extreme smoking bans have been implemented. Smokers, their friends, and businesses who value them as patrons and who are finding their livelihoods destroyed by baseless government interference will stand together against unjust and ill-based universal smoking bans and celebrate World Defiance Day! Our movement in Hawaii has been watched and covered worldwide as we set major precedents in our recent battle and as we prepare to pull off the legislative upset of the decade when we become the first State in America to reverse a smoking ban next year! Our strategy of support is outlined below. We invite you to join us in our model so as to provide a consistency worldwide. Remember, there is power in numbers and consistency.
1. Choose just ONE bar per town/city where the event will take place unless you are sure enough of overwhelming support to support several. There is power/impact in VISUAL numbers. Impact will be far greater with 100 defiant smokers at ONE place vs. a handful scattered over 20 bars.
2. Make and announce the primary time for the event for TWO HOURS so all can be there at once in a short time frame. The Defiance can go on throughout the day, but those two hours will mark the concentration when smokers can depend on the maximum number of supporters and the media will know there’ll be something colorful to film.
3. This event in Britain caught us all by surprise, so we haven’t had much time to prepare, but that is okay…every revolution started with a handful of crusaders… Where it will go from here is unknown. If British pubs stand strong in their resistance the English ban will fall, followed quickly by the Scottish and Welsh, and soon thereafter by the long-suffering Irish. In America the Defiance will be on a city and state level, but inspired by our friends “across the pond” we may begin to see significant ignoring and rolling back of American bans as well. So get on the horn/email and get hold of as many supporters, smokers AND nonsmokers, as you can! Remember, many nonsmokers also believe that the antismoking lobby has gone too far: very few actually support denying smokers ANY indoor spaces to gather! Here in Honolulu, we expect close to 200 to show this Sunday!! It’s gonna be a blast of a Smoke In.
4. Media coverage is KEY. Once the media realizes this is a coordinated WORLDWIDE event involving thousands of citizens in countries around the world, they will show us much more respect and will desire to cover it with a story that is far less biased than normal. This event will also show our opposition that this battle is going to be a tough one…we are now SOLIDIFIED WORLDWIDE…no more push-overs. We CAN turn the tide! As Mike McFadden of the Smokers Club has said, “Bans are NOT Inevitable!!!”
5. Contact your local media (TV, radio, print, internet-mag) via a personal call or a short note (press release). The Press Release should be short and sweet. Feel free to copy, use, and build on the below:
On July 1, 2007, hundreds of pubs in Britain will stand in Defiance to their new nationwide smoking ban. This date, a true Day Of Defiance, also marks the first WORLD DEFIANCE DAY. In a show of support for our Brit friends and to show worldwide solidarity for our movement to Defend Freedom of Choice, we smokers and friends in _____________(town/city) will also stand in DEFIANCE to our own smoking ban. WORLD DEFIANCE DAY will be celebrated this Sunday at __________(bar/pub) between __________(time) and therafter. You are more than welcome to join this momentous event as we continue our battle against the ever growing and alarming governmental intrusion into our daily personal, private and business lives. Our battle cry is Martin Luther King’s bold statement many years ago, “ONE HAS A MORAL OBLIGATION TO DISOBEY UNJUST LAWS”. This law is indeed unjust.
By the way, we WILL be smoking!!!!
6. Have a bright conspicuous 4×8 banner made and hung in the front of the establishment…something to the effect…”WORLD DEFIANCE DAY! Defenders of Freedom of Choice! We stand United!” Smok’em Up…use your imagination, but just make sure WORLD DEFIANCE DAY is somewhere on the banner…remember CONSISTENCY!!!
For questions/advice feel free to contact:
Jolyn Tenn HawaiiSmokersAlliance.com (jTenn10@aol.com)
Dave Crowley TheSmokeVote.com (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Michael J. McFadden Cantiloper@aol.com
Samantha Philippe SmokersClub.com
Garnet Dawn GarnetDawn@comcast.net